Please note that these benefits apply to members of SCL UK only, and not to members of our sister Societies. More information, including full details about the Society, are available on our about page.
Meetings & Lectures
Overseas e-members (who must be resident outside the UK, Isle of Man and Ireland) may attend the Society's events on the same terms as non-members. See our events page for upcoming events.
The Society publishes a number of papers each year - see our papers page for the full list to date. Some are published in hard copy, some are only published in electronic format: all are put on the website. You will be emailed a copy of every SCL paper that is published after the date that you join.
You will be emailed each monthly newsletter following approval of their membership. See our newsletters page for archived newsletters.
You will be listed in our annual Membership Directory (if you wish) and will receive a pdf copy of the directory by email only.
Additionally, all members have access to a searchable online database of those members who have agreed for their data to be visible to other members. If you are logged in as a member you can find this database here.
The annual subscription is £30, payable in January each year. There is also an additional initial joining fee of £30.
For those joining in mid-year (up to October 31), there is a reduced subscription fee which covers the remainder of the calendar year. This subscription fee is discounted by one quarter each quarter. For those joining between November 1 and December 31, membership runs to the end of the following calendar year.
For Overseas E-Membership:
- You must satisfy the usual conditions for membership: you must be interested and professionally involved in construction law.
- 'Overseas' is defined as residence outside the UK, Isle of Man and Ireland. You must be or expect to be resident overseas at the commencement of your period of membership.
- You must give details of your normal place of residence, which must be overseas.
- If you move back to the UK, you may remain an overseas member for the remainder of that calendar year, but must then renew as a full member for the following year if you wish to continue your membership.
- Application and all payments can only be made via the Society’s website (not by post, cheque or bank transfer). Invoices (including renewal invoices) and hard-copy receipts will not be issued.
- You must provide a personal email address. Email addresses such as 'mail@….’ or 'info@….’ are not acceptable.
- You must undertake to keep your registered email address up to date. If SCL receives two notifications of failed delivery, you will cease to be sent email transmissions.
- If you are a full member and are transfered overseas, no rebate is available on your current year's membership. However, you may transfer to overseas membership at the start of the new subscription year, provided that you continue to reside overseas.
As part of your application, you will need to pay the joining fee and first year's subscription in advance. They will both be refunded in full in the unlikely event that your application is rejected. This type of membership requires online payment and application. You first need to register on this website and then follow the instructions.
If you are already registered, for example as an academic visitor, you do not need to re-register. Go to your 'Account' page (prominent button at top right of the website when logged in), then use the links in the right column to make your application.
Please note that you will not have access to member privileges such as free downloading of papers until your membership has been approved. This can take up to two weeks from the date of application.
If you have any further questions please email or telephone our adminstrator.